- Category: Other
interprets and carries out the basic instructions that operate a computer
· is a case that contains electronic components of the computer used to process data.
· is the main circuit board of the system unit
· a computer ____ is a small piece of semi-conducting material, usually silicon, on which integrated circuits are etched.
· interprets and carries out the basic instructions that operate a computer
· The _________________________ is the component of the processor that directs and coordinates most of the operations in the computer
Arithmetic Logic Unit
· is the component of the processor that performs arithmetic, comparison, and other operations
· Together, four operations (fetching, decoding, executing, and storing) comprise a(n
· The processor relies on a small quartz crystal circuit called the _________________________ to control the timing of all computer operations.
· The pace of the system clock, called the _______, is measured by the number of ticks per second
· When 8 bits are grouped together as a unit, they form a(n
· _____ consists of electronic components that store instructions waiting to be executed by the processor, data needed by those instructions, and the results of processed data (information).
· memory does not lose its contents when power is removed from the computer.
· Most of today's computers improve processing time with _________________________, which stores frequently used instructions and data.
· refers to memory chips storing permanent data and instructions
· _________________________ is the amount of time it takes the processor to read data, instructions, and information from memory.
· A(n) _________________________ is a socket on the motherboard that can hold an adapter card.
USB Flash Drive
· an __________ is a flash memory device that plugs in a USB port on a computer or portable device.
· An___is the point at which a peripheral attaches to or communicates with the system unit so it can send data or receive information from the computer.
· A ___ joins a cable to a peripheral.
· A(n) _____ is a type of interface that connects a device to the system unit by transmitting data one bit at a time.
· Unlike a serial port, a(n) _____ is an interface that connects devices by transferring more than one bit at a time
· A(n) _________________________ is an interface that can connect up to 127 different peripherals together with a single connector.